How to create a label online

0


Independent labels are booming right now. But how do you start a record company? We’ve put together some tips.

Do you dream of creating your own label? The good news is that there has never been a better time.

The accessible era of music streaming means that creating a label is no longer an expensive and complicated dream. But while starting an online record label may be more feasible than ever, it takes careful planning.

So get started today. Let’s explore the steps to start a record label.


Build a record label – get inspired

Being a good record company isn’t just about selling records to fans. First, take the time to think about the basics: what type of label would you like to run? The joy of not being part of a big record label is that your brand can be whatever you want it to be.

Maybe there is a particular genre of music that you are passionate about, whatever its niche; you may want to sign artists depending on their location. An independent label can also be a simple matter of releasing your own music as an artist’s label, with the added benefit of having a professional brand in place to sign other artists in the future.


How should I name my record company?

Start researching record company name ideas and start thinking about branding your website and social media. Examine the legal process behind contracts and performing rights organizations.

Then you can register your business, which sounds complicated, but in most cases you can set it up online and there is a lot of free information available to help you. The fees vary depending on where you are in the world. You are starting a business, so consider hiring an accountant.


How to sign an artist on your label

It’s time to bring your artists together. Start small – approach musicians, producers or bands you’ve met locally or online, and your musician friends.

You need to make signing your label an attractive proposition for artists. After all, you’ll get a chunk of their royalties, and in an age when distributors like RouteNote can put music from unsigned artists online for free without needing a label, you’ll have to donate something that the artist does. can’t achieve alone.

Artists need to know that they are joining a dedicated professional team that will support them all the way. They’ll need to go out of their way to promote their music, but they’ll want to be confident that you’ll give them enough time and creative space to make music while you take care of the paperwork.


How do labels distribute music?

Once you’ve signed your artists, you need to start releasing their music. There are many ways for independent labels to release music, vinyls and CDs to the biggest market of all – putting their music online. By this we mean all over, on as many streaming sites and stores as possible; on Youtube ; in social media sound libraries that people can use in their TikToks and reels.

To stream music online, you need a good digital music distributor. Enter RouteNote.


Best Music Distribution for Labels

Beware of distributors with hidden fees and extra fees for things like adding new artists or getting permission to access YouTube Content ID. No matter how many artists you have on your books – three or three hundred – and how many stores you download music from, RouteNote won’t charge you a dime more.

RouteNote offers unlimited distribution for independent record labels, worldwide, from Spotify to Kanjian. We offer a free YouTube content ID to protect your music on YouTube. We’re an independent distributor passionate about helping artists get their music heard online – many of us are musicians ourselves.

You keep full control of your music. Check out RouteNote’s distribution options here. When you are just starting out, our free offer might be the best for your label. Yes, totally free. We keep 15% of the revenue and make it easier to distribute the remaining 85% between you and your artists through free revenue sharing. You can divide the earnings of each song into percentages that you have agreed between yourself, your artists, and artist teams, by removing an additional admin.

We also offer Premium Distribution, giving you 100% of the revenue, in exchange for an initial royalty and a small annual cost. If you’re sure you’re getting a lot of streams, Premium is a great option and you can switch between Free and Premium at any time.

For established labels, it is possible to subscribe to RouteNote All Access, which adds priority support, pitch assistance and account management dedicated to the Premium plan. Contact our friendly team to discuss further.


Good luck on your trip with an independent label! We would love to be a part of it – so sign up for RouteNote today.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.